It can be daunting to think about downsizing your home. Where do you even start? And how do you decide what to keep and what to let go of?
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start at the Top!
- Empty the loft. There’s probably stuff in there you haven’t seen or used in years
- Then go systematically room by room from top to bottom, and don’t forget the garden shed
- Ask a friend or family member to help. Someone who knows you well but will give sound advice on what to keep
- Focus on keeping items of sentimental value, but also consider what you could pass on
- You may want to take items of furniture with you. Scaling is key. Carefully measure and plan to your new home to ensure there are no shocks on moving day
- Have a “tabletop” sale or “garage” sale or do a car boot
- Or donate to charity. Some charities will collect. Someone else could make good use of the things you no longer need
- Feel the freedom and embrace the change, it will be truly liberating!
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to downsizing, but following these tips will help you get started on the process. And who knows? You may find that you enjoy your new, more manageable home even more than your previous one.
Downsizing your home can be a great opportunity to de-clutter and re-evaluate your possessions. By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to making the most of your new space in no time!